Sunday, May 31, 2009

Beach Memories


At an early age, the ocean was in-grained into my soul. My mother would load up the family car and take her children to the Oregon beaches. There would be a sense of excitement when we could roll down the window of the car and actually hear the ocean’s roar. But the site of the ocean was always the most thrilling moment of that drive. We’d all claim that we were the first to see the ocean thus winning some unmentioned game that ended our hour and a half road trip.

My Mother would rent a motel room with a "kitchenette" and an indoor, heated swimming pool. The beach then became our play ground. We often heard Mother’s strict instructions and followed them with the same strict obedience Mother would say, “Do not go too far out into the ocean; it will suck you out to sea with its strong undertow!” She even told us, "If we dug our holes in the sand too deep, we’d end up in China." I positively know that we never dug that deep nor did any of us ever get sucked out into the ocean currents. What did a Mother from Utah really know about the ocean? She actually knew a lot and taught us the names of the ocean creatures, the history of the Tillamook burn (from three separate fires in 1933, 1939 and then again in 1945) and the most important thing was how to enjoy the beautiful beaches God created along Oregon’s coastline.
We’d get up at the crack of dawn hoping for low tide and the chance to be the first ones on the newly washed shore. We’d scavenge the sand looking for sea shells; with any luck, we’d find whole sand dollars! I still am obsessed with the desire to collect sea shells, every beach I go to, I look and look, hoping to find an unusual shell. . . . . Last week I had that chance. Andrea and I met in Tampa, Florida to explore a few beaches. The first beach was St. Pete's Beach, next was Ft. Myers Beach and then Sanibel Island (known for their seashells). It's hard to imagine piles of seashells on a beach, but the right beach actually had so many seashells that when the waves came in; the water would move the shells and you'd hear the rustling of seashells. I wouldn't of believed a place like this actually existed! The ocean water was so warm and clear on these beaches. I am so grateful for the beautiful world that God created for us.
I absolutely love everything about the beach! I love walking barefoot in the sand. Even as an adult, I love to build sandcastles; I learned how to drizzle details onto my sandcastles by using the right consistency of sand mixed with ocean water (I think Carol taught us this technique). I wanted to laugh when a lady asked me how we made the sand look like icing? Here's the sandcastle Andrea and I worked on our last full day at Ft. Myers Beach. I've decided that creating sandcastles is a good way to met people. We had comments from tourists from Switzerland, Germany, Ohio, Minnesota...It's a great way to unwind. I like to think of it as "sand therapy".

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting a picture of me in my swim suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea you looked beautiful in that swim suit, just so you know.

    Aunt Joy, you made me cry thinking of Grandma and all the fun we had at the beach... I sure do miss her! We are so lucky to call her 'ours'. You're the best sandcastle maker I know! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mom, you're so cute! Love your sand castle, like always, amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete