Sunday, October 11, 2009

Carmel Corn if you dare

II made yummy baked carmel corn to take to our visiting teaching / home teaching families. Tonight, after a long day of church meetings, Mike was relaxing, reading and munching on some of this delicious treat when he felt something lodge into one of his crowns. Sadly, he broke a piece of his crown right off! Luckily, it doesn't hurt but he now has a nice jagged edge on the crown. Here's the picture I took so Brian could do some long distance dental consulting with him. (So nice to have a son-in-law that knows about these things).
I also decided to share what we took to our families. Here's a photo of the package I'm delivering tomorrow (since it's one of my V.T. sister's birthday on Columbus Day). Notice the witch card and a black shoe made from cardstock...I got this idea from one I saw in Paper Craft Magazine a few years ago...the shoe is overflowing with carmel corn.
Below is the recipe...if you dare...to make it!


RECIPE: Spray a large baking pan in preparation for the popcorn. Dump the popped popcorn into the sprayed pan...Mix together...1 c. butter, 1 c. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 c. corn syrup...let boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Stir Into the hot mixture: 1/4 tsp. of baking soda and 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Pour over 3 quarts of popcorn (I use 3 bags of microwave popcorn). I also carefully picked out all the un-popped kernels from the mix...don't want to break any crowns or teeth!
Bake at 275 degrees for 15 minutes...stir and bake 15 minutes more.
Dump out onto wax paper and try to wait for it to cool without eating any...I bet you can't do it!
WARNING:  Do not eat if you have crowns!


1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, poor dad! Good thing you have dental insurance, i LOVE carmel corn.

    ReplyDelete