Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Morning


Mike is in DC enjoying a few SF Giant's games with Andrea where today's low was 58 degrees and the  high was 68 degrees. Some of you may wonder why I didn't go too...well, I only get 10 vacation days a year and after our Portugal trip, I'm down to 5 days ....
Mike on the other hand has so many, he'll probably never run out of them.  


Today's goofy award
Sandy, UT high of 48 with a low of 28 degrees!
 Why am I telling you about DC's weather....because this is what I woke up to!                    
 Tomorrow Mike heads to Knoxville to spend some time with Brittany's family and may I add....the weather is much nicer in both places than here! 

I had to shovel off at least 6 or 7 inches of snow before I could head off to this morning's 5k charity run.  As soon as I got to State Street, it wasn't as bad.  The only part of the 5k that was really cold was being in Riverton Park and having the wind blow the snow off the trees and on top of everyone.  Plus the race took the participants tromping in snow covered grass.  Which means, I got cold feet by the end of the race...luckily, I had spare running shoes in my car as part of my emergency kit and those dry shoes felt great while I waited for the awards and prizes.  I ran the fastest I've run a 5k (31 minutes and 10 seconds)...I know, not really that fast, but keep in mind my age and genes...which means it wasn't fast enough to win but I took 2nd place and won a gift certificate to have my piano tuned.  Which it really needs...next time John or one of the kids come home, they can play a piano that will sound so much better.

I really want to run a 5k in 30 minutes or less...anyone have any tips for running faster besides getting a new body?

3 comments:

  1. from Lorena: Great job on the race! Impressive that you went despite the bad weather and then even got a PR. And to win a piano tune-up is a pretty nice prize - aren't those rather expensive?! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Mom! Maybe I'll try pushing you in the next run. :)

    ReplyDelete