Friday, May 8, 2015

From Tennessee to the Outer Banks

Our latest trip was to Knoxville to see this our newest grandson blessed by his father at church.  As you can see, he was a good baby for his special day and his Dad gave him a beautiful blessing.



Rob's family drove out for the event and these two little girls had a blast together!  Here they are sitting under a tree as it sprinkled, happy as can be.




Sunday afternoon, the guys decided to introduce our grandsons to the first Star Wars movie.  All but the youngest really liked it.



Sunday morning I tried to get my granddaughter to wear the pink smocked dress as seen above but she refused until her cousin told her she was a princess if she wore this dress, she put it on.  This is how the fashionable girls go walking with their grandfather....crowns, fairy wings and tutu skirts.



On Monday, I left Knoxville with Rob's family for a longer than expected drive to the Outer Banks.  The drive was supposed to take 8 1/2 hours according to Map Quest but it took us a little over 10 hours including three stops. We arrived in the dark and the next morning it was so beautiful.  


We stayed at a beach house a short walk to the beach. Where of course, I proceeded to make sandcastles.  This is the castle my granddaughter requested. She was so proud of the pink plastic she found and that she was able to use to make a flag for the top of her fairy castle. This castle lasted for 3 days before the high tide partially destroyed the side closest to the ocean. So on Thursday, we remade her fairy castle and made it even bigger.



This is the sand bear I built with my grandson.  He was a good helper.


And lastly, this was supposed to be a dolphin...it ended up looking a little prehistoric but this grandchildren liked it!


My grandson build these little sand piles and then would alternately kick the sand as if it was a soccer ball.  He has great athletic skills.









On Wednesday, we drove around and saw a few of the sites.  Like this at Kill Devil Hills:



And this on Bodie Island:  Caution, small children can't go inside this lighthouse for safety issues so we had one very disappointed 3 1/2 year old!  Luckily, I took this photo before we found out the sad news.


On Friday, Rob and Lorena took the two older children on a kayaking adventure. I hung out with their littlest one.  It was such a relaxing adventure not only did my little one fall asleep while I strolled him around but my granddaughter also feel asleep in the kayak.


Our trip to the Outer Banks was my birthday present from my son's family.  I told him it turned out to be so much fun, it could count as my mother's day gift too.   

After we drove back to the D.C. area, I even got to take my granddaughter to the Disney movie "Cinderella".  My grandson declined the offer to go see this movie because he wanted to watch soccer...seriously, that boy loves sports much to the delight of his father and grandfather.  

Memories like this with my family will live a lifetime, I sure love my family!  So grateful to be a wife, mother and grandmother! 

Happy Mother's day everyone especially my daughters & daughter-in-law!

2 comments:

  1. from Lorena: So glad you could join us! Love those sand castles you built with Michael and Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had fun, now come visit us again!...from Amy, not John.

    ReplyDelete